Monday 29 June 2015

London Calling!

London is one of my favourite places to visit. I love nothing more than the hustle and bustle of a huge city. As somebody from the North East, it's strange to say that I feel so at home in London.
I recently took a visit to the big city in May as part of a present for my 19th from my parents. I know this post is well overdue, but I thought it would be nice to share what I did regardless. Here's what I got up too...

DAY 1:
I went with my Mam, catching an extremely early train at 6:45 from Sunderland to Kings Cross in London. We stayed at The President Hotel in Russell Square. It's being all renovated at the moment as some of the rooms are quite dated, we were very lucky however and had one of the new rooms, which was very pleasant. It's quite a budget hotel and Russell Square is in a brilliant location, so no complaints there! Once checked into the hotel, we headed out to Camden. I have so much love for Camden. I love the market and all the food stalls. There was a huge thunder/lightening and rain storm when we were there, which was a shame. It didn't dampen the day, however (do you get my pun, ha?).





The storm clouds approaching! 
After our day out at Camden, we went back to the hotel relatively early as we had a meal booked at Jamie's Italian restaurant on Upper Saint Martin's at 5:30PM. I've never been to Jamie's Italian and I was thoroughly surprised. The food and cocktail I had was delicious, however I can't for the life of me remember what the names of the food and drink are! After the meal, we then had tickets booked for Les Miserables at Queens Theatre. I've seen different musicals now including Wicked, Hairspray and The Sound Of Music, and Les Mis definitely comes out tops. I cried my heart out, bless me. The cast and the orchestra performed to such a high standard, would definitely recommend this musical. After the show, we had a walk down to Piccadilly Circus, which isn't too far from Queen's theatre. It's  always nice seeing it in the dark.

Can't for the life of me remember the name of this dish - but it had butternut sqaush, tomatoes and spinach in it and it was beyond good. 





DAY 2:
On day 2 of our trip, we had a cooked breakfast at the hotel then headed out to the V&A museum for the Alexander McQueen exhibition. I love McQueen's designs so it was fabulous to see the late designer's clothes in the flesh. Quotes from the man himself were displayed on the walls which did add quite an emotional feel to the exhibition. Priced at £9.00 for students and £16.00 for adults, it was worth every penny. The V&A itself is totally worth a visit in general. I'm not really a fan of museums myself, theres only so much I can take, but this outlived all my expectations. 



On the afternoon, we headed to Knightsbridge for a spot of shopping, mainly at Harrods - because what is a trip to London without visiting Harrods? The food halls at Harrods amaze me, I could stay there all day and just eat eat and eat. It truly is seeing how the other half live. I treated myself and my mam to a cupcake each (a m a z e). We browsed other shops such as Topshop and Zara whilst there. 




I couldn't have spent my Wednesday night in London in a better way. For a surprise, my parents had booked tickets for the London Eye at sunset. I've been on the London Eye many years ago when I was about 6 so I can't really remember that much. The views are just breathtaking from all angles of the eye. Seeing it at sunset was just spectacular. We were lucky enough to have gorgeous weather after a day of storms which was very fortunate. 






After the London Eye, we took a walk down the Thames to the Jubilee Bridge where we crossed and walked up to Trafalgar Square, a perfect photo opportunity. After this we then further walked to Leicester Square where we had a bit of a late tea and cocktails at Chiquitos.  

DAY 3: 
Thursday was spent doing some intense shopping. Our train home wasn't until quarter past seven back to Sunderland, so we basically had another full day. The day of shopping commenced on Oxford Street, hitting the fabulous Selfridges. Quite a controversial opinion - but I much prefer Selfridges to Harrods in terms of the iconic department stores in London. I think it has a bit more of a youthful target, which I like. Naturally the mothership called and I went to the Oxford Circus Topshop in all it's 3 story floored glory. We had lunch in St Christopher's Place at a little cafe called Apostrophe. The afternoon was spent at Covent Garden and the weather was delightful. We walked from Oxford Street to Covent Garden, hitting Carnaby Street on the way. We had a little snack of cheesy chips and freshly squeezed lemonade at Shake Shack. I so wish I'd gone for a burger at Shake Shack too as they looked unreal. There's always a next time!  






I have such an affinity for London. I love everything about the city. Going into Journalism, I'd love to live there at some point in the future as there'll be so much opportunity down there. 









No comments:

Post a Comment